Hello Everyone! We just had to share one of our favorite all-time French sandwiches…it’s the stupendously delicious, totally satisfying, oooey-gooey Croque Monsieur. It’s the adult, kicked-up version of the American grilled cheese. It’s so good that on a recent trip to Paris, we noticed people using forks and knives to eat this royalty of sandwiches. This sandwich requires a little prep in advance, but is well-worth all the effort. All you’ll hear from dinner guests, family and friends are moans and groans of savory satisfaction…guaranteed. Alright, enough talk. Let’s get down to business on how to make the Croque Monsieur.
- Sheet pan
– Parchment paper
– Sauce pan
Recipe: (Serves 6)
- 2 TBL Butter (we prefer salted)
– 2 TBL Flour
– 2 Cups Milk (can substitute almond milk)
– 2 Cups Gruyere Cheese (1 cup for sauce, 1 cup reserved, can substitute Swiss or sharp white cheddar)
– 1 tsp Tresor Cuisine’s – Artisan Poultry Salt (or can use plain salt to taste)
– 1/2 tsp Pepper (to taste)
– 1/4 tsp Nutmeg, finely grated
- 1/2 lb. Honey Roasted Turkey, (thinly sliced)
– 16 Slices Bread, (thick sliced Pullman style bread)
– 1 Stick Butter, (salted, for using to butter the slices of bread…one side only)
– 1 Cup Gruyere Cheese, grated (1 cup reserved from béchamel sauce above)
1. Mis-en-place all ingredients for the Béchemel Sauce and the Croque Monsieur sandwich.
2. Heat 2 TBL salted butter in a sauce pan over medium heat, once melted, add the 2 TBL flour and stir to combine…this is called a roux (sounds like rooo) Cook for 1 minute. Then very slowly add a little milk to the roux paste, and whisk, keep slowly drizzling milk in while whisking. The roux will thin out to a cream-like consistency. Bring to a low rolling boil. This will ensure the sauce will be at it’s thickest consistency…it should coat the back of a spoon, and leave a clear path when you draw your finger through the sauce on the back of a spoon. For added richness and depth of flavor, season to taste with grated nutmeg and Tresor’s - Artisan Poultry Salt (gives the béchamel sauce extra flavor), or use plain salt for a more traditional béchamel sauce.
3. Set béchamel sauce over an ice bath and cover with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Place in the refrigerator to cool and thicken for approx. 2 hours.
4. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
5. When ready and béchamel sauce is cooled, set-up sandwich prep station using a large cutting board and a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Take 6 slices of thick Pullman bread, and butter one side. Place the buttered side face-down on the parchment lined sheet pan. Repeat with the remaining 5 slices.
6. Then spread the 6 slices of buttered bread that are now on the sheet pan with 1 TBL of the béchamel sauce. Add two slices of the honey roasted turkey on top of the 6 slices of bread (that are buttered face-down that also have 1 TBL béchamel sauce spread on the bread)…following me?
7. Then sprinkle some grated Gruyere Cheese and a sprinkling of Tresor Cuisine’s – Artisan Poultry Salt or sea salt on top of the turkey.
8. Now place the other 6 slices of bread on top of the sandwiches. Spread 1 TBL béchamel sauce on the top of the bread, then sprinkle generously with more Gruyere Cheese on top.
9. Place the sheet pan with Croque Monsieur sandwiches on the lower third part of the oven (not the bottom shelf though…the bottoms will burn!), and bake for 8-10 minutes or until tops are bubbling brown.
10. CAUTION! Please make sure to let sandwiches set for at least 5 minutes before eating. The inside and top béchamel sauce will be VERY hot! (Can’t say we haven’t warned you!). Serve with a side salad or cup of your favorite soup and thoroughly enjoy!
You’re going to love this one! Bon Appetit!